Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Jamison’s Super Simple Gluten Free Graham Crakers

Ok Y'all, I'm always searching for Gluten Free remakes of some of our favorite Gluten Filled foods. Last week I pinned a recipe for gluten free graham crackers, today I got the urge to make up some s'mores for the minions. Well, long story short 4 of my 6 minions r-u-n-n-o-f-t to my grandparents and left the hubs, myself and the two smallest minions to fend for ourselves. Boobah, being my celiac babe, and now myself trying my durndest to be gluten free (it's those darn Luck Charms  I tell ya, that and my hot dog buns) I decide to make him some graham crackers and then a few s'mores. Let me tell ya first off, gluten free baking IS NOT just subbing wheat flour for some other flour. NO no no! You have to mix an match your flours for you specific needs unless... you buy an All Purpose GF Flour, which I do quite a lot. (I have 6 kids I use a lot of short cuts.) One thing I have taken note to needing in the gluten free pantry (which I will be making a post about soon) is xanthan gum. It give breads that doughy elasticity, in other words it'll keep your biscuits from falling apart. All and I'll repeat all the Graham Cracker recipes I found on Pinterest today had special DIY Gluten Free Flour Mixes and they all required a little extra xanthan gum, which I didn't have in my pantry tonight. (I used the last of it in my hush puppies, yes yes you'll get that recipe too, eventually.) So, I did what any mama in need did. I invented my own recipe, and I think I hit a home run. This is super simple, if you know how to make pie crust, you're in luck! 

(the recipe is for a small batch because when experimenting you want to do it in small batches) 

010

Jamison's Super Simple Gluten Free Graham Crakers!

1 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Baking Flour (I used Bob's Red Mill) 

1/2 Cup Rice Flour: just in case do not add to mixture unless you need it ( I used Bob's Red Mill Brown Rice b/c it was open) 

1/4 Cup Brown Sugar 

1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder

1/4 teaspoon Sea Salt

4 tablespoons Cold Butter

2 tablespoons Honey or Molasses (I bet Maple Syrup would be good too) 

1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla 

1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon (optional)

2 tablespoons to 1/8 cup Cold Water

  1. Turn the oven on broil. 
  2. Add All Purpose Flour, Brown Sugar Baking Powder, and Sea Salt in a bowl and whisk or sift together. Cut up the butter as small as you can with out making it too soft, add it to the flour mixture. Add Honey, Vanilla and Cold water.
  3. Using a mixer, mix all ingredients well, if too sticky add the rice flour if too thick more water. You want it to be like a pie crust
  4. I'm all about short cuts so here is exactly how I did this. I sprinkled my cookies sheet with rice flour and floured my rolling pin with corn starch (it stuck to it better). I PLOPPED the dough onto the cookie sheet, by plop I mean I turned my mixing bowl upside down and let it fall out, having already made the dough into a ball, that is to say. Then I rolled out my dough, not too thin, not too thick. 
  5. Using a pizza cutter I cut the dough into rectangles, poked each one a few times with a fork, and made sure they weren't sticking to the pan. 
  6. Place them in the oven on the second rack from the broiler. 
  7. Keep and eye on them, I left mine in for about 30min. 
  8. Sprinkle with Sugar if ya like I topped a few of mine with chocolate and a marshmallow.

006

The whole house smelled ahhh-mazing while they were baking, almost as good as an apple stack cake. (Ok maybe not that good, but WOW)  Boobah, at one as soon as it came out of the oven, then delightfully ate two s’mores no questions asked. They have a light, not too sweet taste to them, they get more crispy after they cool down. I would compare them to Pie Fries! Omm Nom Nom! #PieFries! In fact I think that’s pretty much what they are, just with the sweetness coming from the honey and sugar baked into them not smothered on them. I hope Y’all enjoy my Super Simple Gluten Free Graham Crackers. Let me know if yours came out great too! Send me pictures of your s’mores experience post them on my facebook wall! Have at it. Share your Gluten Free Life!

Jamison Star

0 comments:

Post a Comment

share